Sunday, February 27, 2005

Just Like Paradise

Another day, once again not much to report. Everyday we hear explosions but have pretty much been able to discern good from bad. So far they are not rattling me; I just hear them and do what needs to be done. We have installed an alarm system on post for mortars. so far it has only been used once.

The excitement in my day is when it ends, I sit in my cell (you could consider it close to prison) and do my daily grind. I set my priorities and then, “I need this, I need that”, I just relegate myself to getting done what I can.

Mail is running pretty good now, and sweetie, your package is on the way. I received another package from my beautiful wife; I got my P.J.’s and some toiletries. I can feel a little more like a human now. I cannot wait until Shelle gets her package. I packed the boys a DVD I bought here. You can buy pretty much any DVD movie here for five bucks, granted it may not be the best quality or a tapes theatre. But the upside is you can get up to four movies on one disc. So far I have been lucky and got some good ones, I should have a good movie collection by the time I get home.

The temperature is increasing daily and soon we’ll be cooking camel eggs on the sidewalk. With body armor and Kevlar on it gets hot pretty quick. Guess I don’t need to gripe about my office then, the guys outside are going to catch a little taste of Hades this summer. August in Mississippi will seem like a tropical paradise compared to here.

Have been trying to situate my living conditions a little more in the last few days. Trying to get all my things off the floor. So far we have caught two mice and have set traps for more. The mice don’t bother me; it’s the snakes they attract. Let’s see, there are the Asp and the Cobra. I really don’t want to wake up in the morning with a Cobra staring me in the face. Then there are scorpions, especially one little bugger called the red scorpion. This little guy is attracted to urine, and some of the guys have been treating this like Camp Shelby and using urine bottles. We do not allow anyone in our tent to do this; if we caught them we would empty the contents of their bottle on their bed. Just a deterrent.

Oh, and don’t forget the camel spider. I don’t even want to see one of these guys. I will probably unload every round I have for my 9mm. Safe to say I don’t like things with more than four legs or that slither.

Ok, enough of that. I feel like we have a good security system going on here. Every night I hear choppers lifting off and circling or the Bradley’s or Abrams shaking the ground as they make their nightly patrols. The Abrams (M1A2 Main battle tank) has an eerie whistle to it. It’s power plant is a gas driven turbine that can propel this behemoth of a machine around. There are some good stories of M1 tanks in battle during the first gulf war. Some of them I read in Tom Clancy’s Armored Cav.

There was one story of an M1 that got stuck in the desert, (Imagine that) and could not be pulled out. The platoon left the tank and crew there to continue on mission while a M88 (Tow truck tank) was en route to pull them out. While waiting, three T-72 Russian made tanks happened upon the stuck tank and opened fire. Out of three shots only one scared the shell of the M1. The guys in the tank opened fire and destroyed two of the opposing tanks while the third ran for cover. Now the M1 has thermal sites and can see pretty well at night. The gunner could see the exhaust plume of the T-72 (Their exhaust is vented upwards in the rear) come from behind a sand dune. The gunner then aimed canter mass of the dune and shot. The round went through the dune and destroyed the T-72. As we found out in that war, the turret of the T-72 blew off in one direction and the engine went another. Hey, the Abrams is pretty bad.

Oh well, enough babbling. Gonna finish work and go call my beautiful wife soon.

Take care all
CIAO

Hey babe, I love you. And thank you for my PJs. Xoxoxoxo
Me’)
Hello from Hell